MSc in computer science and PhD in medical imaging from IDI and ISB at NTNU (Trondheim, Norway).
Working as SW architect for GE Healthcare, Ultrasound (Oslo, Norway).
Have completed a PhD on algorithms for real-time tracking of deformable models in volumetric data, using sequential state estimation. The primary application was automatic left ventricular segmentation in 3D echocardiography.
As part of my PhD, I developed the world's fastest algorithm for 3D segmentation and tracking with deformable models. The developed tracking framework operated 10-100 times faster than known comparable systems, with typical execution times of 5 ms per model per frame on standard computer hardware.
Examples of automatic 3D segmentation/tracking conducted in
Endocardial LV segmentation with a Doo-Sabin surface.
Endocardial and epicardial LV segmentation with two coupled Doo-Sabin surfaces.
Tracking of LV endo+epi and RV in cardiac CT.
Automatic bladder segmentation.
- F. Orderud: Real-time segmentation of 3D echocardiograms using a state estimation approach with deformable models, NTNU 2010 (PDF, presentation). Opponents: professor Alison Noble, Oxford University; assistant professor Johan G. Bosch, Erasmus MC Rotterdam.
Selected 3D segmentation/tracking publications
- F. Orderud, H. Torp, S.I. Rabben: Automatic Alignment of Standard Views in 3D Echocardiograms Using Real-time Tracking, in proceedings of the SPIE Medical Imaging conference - SPIE MedImg 2009 (DOI, PDF).
- F. Orderud, G. Kiss, S. Langeland, E. Remme, H. Torp, S.I. Rabben: Combining Edge Detection With Speckle-Tracking for Cardiac Strain Assessment in 3D echocardiography, in proceedings of the IEEE Ultrasonics symposium - IUS 2008 (DOI, PDF).
- F. Orderud, G. Kiss, H. Torp: Automatic coupled segmentation of endo- and epicardial borders in 3D echocardiography, in proceedings of the IEEE Ultrasonics symposium - IUS 2008 (DOI, PDF).
- F. Orderud, G. Kiss, S. Langeland, E. Remme, H. Torp, S.I. Rabben: Real-time Left Ventricular Speckle-Tracking in 3D Echocardiography With Deformable Subdivision Surfaces, in proceedings of the MICCAI workshop on Analysis of Medical Images - f-MICCAI 2008, p. 41-48 (PDF, presentation).
- F. Orderud, S.I. Rabben: Real-time 3D Segmentation of the Left Ventricle Using Deformable Subdivision Surfaces, in proceedings in the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition - CVPR 2008, p. 1-8 (DOI, PDF, poster).
- F. Orderud, J. Hansegård, S.I. Rabben: Real-time Tracking of the Left Ventricle in 3D Echocardiography Using a State Estimation Approach, in proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention - MICCAI 2007, p. 858-865 (DOI, PDF, poster).
- J. Hansegård, F. Orderud, S.I. Rabben: Real-Time Active Shape Models for Segmentation of 3D Cardiac Ultrasound, in proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Computer Analysis of Images and Patterns - CAIP 2007, p. 157-164 (DOI, PDF, presentation, movie clip).
- F. Orderud: A Framework for Real-Time Left Ventricular Tracking in 3D+T Echocardiography, Using Nonlinear Deformable Contours and Kalman Filter Based Tracking, in proceedings of IEEE Computers in Cardiology - CinC 2006, p. 125-128 (DOI, PDF, presentation.
Other selected publications
Complete publication search (co-author of 48 publications with 244 citations as of December 2014).
- F. Orderud, J. Hansegård, B. Amundsen, H. Torp, S.I. Rabben: Real-time Left Ventricular Volume Measurements in 3D Echocardiograms, presented abstract on EuroEcho 2007 (PDF).
- L. Løvstakken and F. Orderud, and H. Torp: Real-time Indication of Acoustic Window for Phased-array Transducers in Ultrasound Imaging, in proceedings of IEEE Ultrasonics symposium - IUS 2007, p. 1549-1552 (DOI, PDF, poster).
- F. Orderud: Comparison of Kalman Filter Estimation Approaches for State Space Models with Nonlinear Measurements, in proceedings of Scandinavian Conference on Simulation and Modeling - SIMS 2005 (PDF, code).
PhD theseses based on the same Kalman tracking framework:
Presentation of PhD projects (presentation).
- Sten Roar Snare: Quantitative Cardiac Analysis Algorithms for Pocket-sized Ultrasound Devices, NTNU 2011 (PDF).
- Engin Dikici:Ultrasound Cardiac Modeling, Segmentation and Tracking, NTNU 2013 (PDF).
- Jørn Bersvendsen:Segmentation of cardiac structures in 3-dimensional echocardiography, UiO 2016 (announcement).
- F. Orderud: Method for real-time tracking of cardiac structures in 3d echocardiography, USPTO patent US7889912.
- H. Torp, F. Orderud, L. Løvstakken: Method and system for determining contact along a surface of an ultrasound probe, USPTO patent US8002704.
- F. Orderud, J. Hansegård, S.I. Rabben: Methods for using deformable models for tracking structures in volumetric data, USPTO application 2009/0238404.
- F. Orderud, S. Rabben, H. Torp, V. Lundberg Method and apparatus for automatically identifying image views in a 3d dataset, USPTO patent US8265363.
- A. Heimdal, S. Langeland, F. Orderud: System and method for displaying ultrasound motion tracking information, USPTO application 2010/0249591.
- F. Orderud: Method for Calculating The Sphericity of a Structure, USPTO application 2011/0276314.
- S.R. Snare, O. Gerard, F. Orderud, S.I. Rabben, B.O. Haugen, H. Torp: Ultrasound system and method for calculating quality-of-fit, USPTO application 2012/0065510.
- F. Orderud: Method and apparatus for providing motion-compensated images, USPTO application 2012/0155727.
- J. Hansegård, F. Orderud, A. Ziegler: Method and system for displaying intersection information on a volumetric ultrasound image, USPTO application 2012/0245465.
- S. Rabben, F. Orderud, O. Gerard: Method and apparatus for motion-compensated ultrasound imaging, USPTO patent US8657750 B2.
- F. Orderud: Depth coloring of ultrasound intersection slices from associated volume rendering, USPTO application US 20130150719 A1.
- F. Orderud: System and method for 3d imaging, USPTO application US 20130321389 A1.
Open source activity
Active user of and minor contributor to the following open source projects:
- Invited speaker at the 30th year anniversary seminar for the ultrasound research group in Trondheim 2007, program (in norwegian).
- Prime minister Stoltenberg's favourite: Presentation of real-time heart volume measurements at Technoport 2007, TV-adressa (in norwegian).
- Slik har hjertet ditt det i dag, Adresseavisen 19. oktober 2007 (in norwegian).
- Invited speaker to the high tech session on 3D and model based image analysis on EuroEcho 2008.
- Forskning på automatisk segmentering of volummåling av venstre hjertekammer i 3d ultralyd, i rekrutteringsbrosjyre for sivilingeniør datateknikk 2008-2009 (in norwegian).
- Invited speaker to the Ultrasound 2025 anniversary seminar in Trondheim 2013, program (in norwegian).
- Invited speaker to the USART training course in Leuven 2013, program.
List over some useful computer programs and libraries that I use.
Last modified 2016-06-22.